8 Daily Health Hacks that You Should be Doing NOW!
Updated: Mar 20, 2020
So you want to be healthier, huh? I hear you! Luckily, you've come to the right place. Now, I can't promise that you'll drop 10 pounds or never want pizza again after reading this post, but I can promise that if you add these 8 things into your daily routine, you'll feel more organized, accomplished, and peaceful each day. Give it a shot!
1) Make your bed. "But Sarah I haven't made my bed since my mom made me when I was 8!" I was afraid of that. Maybe Mom had a point though! Ever think of that? This is one that I never was a big fan of either, but if my mom taught me anything it was that "you should always make your bed before you do anything else because it's one small thing that makes a big difference." Thanks, Mom. BUT REALLY! Even if you do nothing else productive in your day, at least you've accomplished one thing. If you've had a great day, you get to end it on the same positive note when you crawl into your nicely made bed. And if you've had a rotten day from Hell...Well at least you get to come home to something nice!
2) Chug your water. I know, I know. You've heard it a thousand times before. But hear me out. I'm not asking you to carry around a gallon sized jug and down it in an hour. What I want you to do is to chug a glass of water before you even get out of bed in the morning. (Maybe this should've been tip number 1...) Before you go to sleep the night before, make sure you have a full glass of water to put beside your bed for when you wake up in the morning. Our bodies do a lot of work for us while we sleep, so it's no wonder they get so dehydrated! Start your day off on a healthy note by replenishing your body right from the start.
3) Journal. Trust me, this one helps A LOT. Even if you take only 5 minutes to set your intentions for the day, this is shown to keep us more focused and driven towards our goals. They say that you should write out everything you want to accomplish in a day and then pick the top 3 that HAVE to get done. When you do that, you're setting a realistic goal and anything else that you can check off beyond 3 things is just a bonus!4) Gratitude. When you journal, be sure to take a few moments to reflect on the things you're grateful for that day. It is scientifically proven that the people who show gratitude towards others feel happier about themselves. Write down at least 3 things that you are grateful for each day. Bonus points if you verbalize it to the people that inspire them! 5) Get moving! Believe it or not, our bodies love to move! Most of us sit all day long (hello, desk jobs!) and are so exhausted by the end of the day that we just want to sit down some more when we get home. Ummm hello! That's not doing you any favors! We actually gain energy from working out. Crazy right? Whether you take a nightly walk, hit up a yoga class, or go pump the iron, just get moving!
6) Detox. And I'm not talking about a juice cleanse. Detox from technology, my friend! At least an hour before bed, you should have all screens turned off and notifications silenced. This is when your body is winding down. When you're staring at a brightly lit screen (phone, computer, t.v., tablet, you name it!), you're tricking your body into thinking that it's still daytime. We get the best REM sleep when we can properly unwind and relax to prepare for the night ahead.
7) Debloat. Ladies, I'm about to be your best friend. Yes, I've found a magical concoction that makes you thinner. Okay, so it likely won't make you lose weight, but it will make your tummy less bloated. And who doesn't want that!? All you've got to do is mix 1-2 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar (With "The Mother") with 1-2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice and a glass of water. Microwave that bad boy for a little less than a minute and get sipping! I try to do this every morning, but it even helps when I get a bellyache from too much Chipotle... We've all been there, right? Anyways, do this daily and you'll notice a difference in no time!
8) Read. One common trait among the world's most successful people is that they all read in their leisure time! "But I don't have leisure time." Good news! Yes you do because I just cleared up an hour of your day in tip number 6! Find a book you enjoy (i.e. not one assigned to you) and read for at least 15-30 minutes a day. It gives you time to detach from the world around you and to enjoy your much deserved alone time.
So you made it through these 8 tips and now you're ready to conquer the world! Okay, maybe you won't be conquering the world any time soon, but at least you can master your day. These tips are so easy that anybody can do them. Do yourself a favor and make yourself a priority. All you have to do is start. (And these 8 things are a good place to do so!)